Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Krystyna
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by brenda21 View Post
K~you really don't pay over $3/yd.? What about at LQS? Even on sale, I don't think I've ever seen LQS's here with $3/yd.
First of all, retail is a dirty word in this house. I am a coupon maniac. If I see something that is marked down and with a coupon ends up being $2-3 (or less) I buy it all. Fabric shopping is a competitive sport for me.

At Joann, however, you can get pricey fabrics if you combine coupons in the right way at the right time.

My lace is another story and I often pay upwards of $20/yard -- BUT -- that is the bottom line wholesale price after haggling and buying in bulk - 50-100 yards at a time. The retail could be between $80-90/yard.

LQS? Don't have one nearby so I don't pay LQS prices. The only ones within 50 miles are shops where I've purchased machines or had them serviced. Besides which, when I have gone, I've seen the exact same fabric at an LQS that is sold at Walmart for a fraction of their prices.

OK. Confession. If I really really really love a print, I'll go as high as $4. And that includes batiks!

Oh, and I am always on the prowl for dead quilters. The saying is true, the one who dies and leaves the biggest stash behind wins -- and those who shop their estate sales are even bigger winners.

I don't buy junk. One wholesaler where I buy a signature lace by the 50 yard roll has lots of cottons, but they are thin. I made that mistake once when I returned to quilting years ago. I ended up donating it all on Freecycle. And they weren't cheap at $7/yd.

On rare occasions I will splurge for something special for an art quilt at e-quilter, but that is rare.

Honestly, I am baffled by people who spend $12-15/yd for cottons. But to each his or her own. If you love them and can afford them, why not? I'm also baffled by people who go grocery shopping without coupons, but like I said, I enjoy the challenge of it all.