View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 03:25 PM
DogHouseMom

Ok ... this is going to sound VERY weird, but this is how my (Italian) family served Polenta. It was very much a family "event" My parents were from dirt poor Italian immigrant families and this is how polenta was eaten. It is typically eaten by serving on a large cutting board saved for this purpose, but with larger families (like my folks, and ours) there was no cutting board large enough to accommodate the whole clan.

First, I can only recommend this serving method if you have a Formica (or similar) topped table. If your table top is wood ... not recommended.

Ingredients:
Polenta
Spaghetti gravy with ground beef
Parmesan and/or Romano and/or Fontana cheese (any hard grated Italian cheese will do)

Make the polenta and while still warm spread it out onto the kitchen table. Yup. Right on the table. Spread it to about 1/4" - 1/2" thick. Immediately top with spaghetti gravy mixed with the ground beef, then grate cheese on the top.

Everyone gets a fork and "marks off" their "area" of the polenta that they are going to eat by drawing a line with their fork. After that, draw more lines in the area to make lifting easier - scoop the polenta up one forkful at time and eat.

Seriously!! After a while it's fun to see the shape that the polenta is in with everyone eating from different sides of the table. It was so much fun that if Mom was making Polenta she HAD to invite some family friends. If my BF Donna found out we had Polenta for dinner the previous evening and didn't invite her, she would be very upset!!