Old 03-15-2012, 05:53 PM
J Miller

Well, I'm in love. I'm hard to impress when it comes to machinery. Most of it works. OK that's fine and dandy but nothing out of the ordinary.

Last Monday we found two Singer machines in cabinets.

The first; a Singer 338K in a two folding lid cabinet. Very nice machine. It needed a bit of work, cleaning and oiling, and one top tension part replaced. But it is a very good machine. I've spent the last three days working on it and fine tuning the tensions.
Today I tried over 30 different cams we have accumulated, and ad the machine loosened up made some really nice decorative stitches. The more I used it, the quieter it got.
My wife thinks we should keep it. I'm not sure really since we've got a number of other machines capable of decorative stitches, zig-zag and other things, but I don't argue with her too much.

That machine done I brought in the one I was slobbering over when we found the 338.

The second; a Centennial Singer 201-2 in a cabinet that is a cross between a treadle cabinet and a wooden legged one.

I brought the head in the house, the cabinet is still in my Pathfinder, there is no place for it in the house, and started to work with it. Some oil, some minor cleaning, some thread and a bobbin, and OH MY G....., I've NEVER had a machine run like this thing. It's like a fine tuned race car. Quiet, smooth, sure, and did I say smooth? Even the oscillating parts of the needle take-up lever didn't vibrate.

I AM IMPRESSED! Like I said above, that doesn't happen often.

I need to bring the cabinet in and work on it. It's worn, chipped here and there, and is missing the spring that lifts the metal part at the right end of the machine up. The springs not broke, it's gone.
Anybody know where I can find one?

Well, I don't have any photos of these two yet. I'll get some soon.
One thing is for sure, something(s) has to go to make room for the 201.

Joe