View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 04:36 AM
clsurz

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
However I don't think I would use it for quilting though. A serger uses 3-4 threads and it makes a thick seam. It is also harder than might be obvious to get a perfect seam allowance! I also haven't ever seen one that uses a start button, just the foot pedal. That doesn't mean there aren't any, but I think it would be hard to control the fabric and use a button at the same time.
Pam
This Baby Lock Evolution will allow you to use only one thread. It is an 8-thread machine with 4 for serging and 4 for overlock. The lady demoed using one thread and up to the eight threads (serging and overlock all at once). She said the only thing it won't do are buttons. It will sew, quilt, and has even done zippers using the serger (although it does not do all types of zippers). I saw first hand the beautiful quilted tops they had on display using the serger.

Perhaps all other sergers might not do quilting well but this baby certainly can. I've never been one to like sergers that is until I saw this one demonstrated first hand.

Regarding start/stop button no sergers as of yet have those but she alluded that is something in the works for babylock in the future. The lady retired from baby-lock less than six months ago and now works part-time at this shop demonstrating all there baby lock machines and others they sell.

I've seen pictures online with folks using there sergers and even locally here and again saw it yesterday at that shop and the work is awesome on it.

I guess on gets what they pay for. This machine feeds various thicknesses of fabric with ease.