Old 03-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Grace MooreLinker

Originally Posted by KSellers View Post
Years back I was given my Great Grandmother's friendship quilt, as I was the only one willing to try to repair it. Well it got put away, we moved, life happened, and pretty much I forgot about it until I joined QB in Jan. 2011. I got it out and began to carefully try to access what needed to be done. All of the black fabric was so rotten if you touched it, it would just fall off. Much of it was already missing as you can see in the picture. So I removed all the saching and borders and replace it with new black fabric. I had to just hand stitch it on to keep the integrity of the original quilt. I am very pleased with the finished product, and it lays across the love seat in my family room. It's funny, every time a family member comes over they say they would love to have the quilt! I sometimes feel guilty, but then I remember the hours I worked to restore it, and I don't feel bad at all. I hope you enjoy. Kathy

Such a lovely quilt and you have restored it beautifuly , I have a quilt my Mom made the blocks in 1950 , she gave me the blocks to make a quilt out of. took me years to do that as you say life happens. the first time I washed it the black bodies of the butter flies all fell a part what a heart crushing site to see. I replaced each one with new black fabric. looks good but I know what happened even if others don't. thanks for shraing your quilt , don't give it away..