View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Eff

Default Quilted carseat canopy cover

I'm done with my second quilting project! I made a car seat cover for our first son, who really should make his entrance any day now.

It has no batting, since we almost live in Mexico, and was made from dragon-themed fat quarters, thin muslin, the mesh of an old frayed laundry bag, ribbon and Lego pieces for the buttons.

The FMQ isn't ideal, but I was taken aback by how much more difficult it is to FMQ on very thin fabrics without batting. It puckers up so easily! I'll get better with time, I'm sure.

I couldn't bind it entirely as it was much too small and thin, so I chose to bind the flap and handles instead, along with making a "frame" out of muslin binding for the window. It's good practice, I'm getting more confident with it. You can blame my husband for the makeshift Lego buttons

Now this might not make any sense to anyone over the age of 30, but there used to be a webcomic called Homestar Runner that nerds of my generation were fans of in the early 2000's. This one-armed dragon, Trogdor, was half-man, half-dragon and burninating the countryside... and the peasants, etc. My husband was a big fan, so I thought he'd enjoy this applique.

So that's it! I'm gonna relax and make something for myself before tackling my project for grandma... maybe a spring purse!