Old 03-17-2012, 03:18 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I really like your Command Center. We’ve set my wife up with a similar layout in an 8x7 area that used to be our small living room (13x18) and dining room (10x10.5), only, hers is electric. We simply call it the “Sweat Shop”, since that’s what we called her spare bedroom sewing area for years. It got too small, so we moved her work area out into the largest part of the house. She still stores her fabric in a spare bedroom. Her U-shaped command center has a Singer 401A and a 301A, each in cabinets, and an 8-foot long table that holds her Singer Serger, White Embroidery machine, thread tower, and ironing board on it. It works well for her. Several portables live under the table waiting for a road trip outside of the home. Her sweat shop now has 27 machines including 4 cabinets and 3 treadles in it. The rest of the house (bedrooms and bathrooms) contains the other 15 machines and 3 cabinets.

I’m trying to figure out how to fit a straight-leg Singer treadle into the Sweat Shop herd, so that I can treadle my Singer 319W and other Singer heads that I have. I want a setup like Nancy has, but with a slightly different stand. I have a couple of Singer 328 heads too, so I may have to get one of them limbered up.

CD in Oklahoma
CD, A"sweat shop"...poor woman!

On the Singer 328, the belt hits an area where it exits from machine that is near the bobbin winder. Nancy's machine, Singer 319w, is a better design for treadling. Don't understand why Singer designed the 328 the way they did and still made it optional for treadle. In my opinion, it was a very poor design from Singer.

Your wife's area does sound very nice with all those machines! Lucky lady!!!