View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

for my wool quilts i use regular cotton batting- generally either dream cotton or hobbs heirloom-i also used flannel backing- came out beautiful- but it would depend on how heavy you want your quilt to be- a wool quilt is pretty heavy- you do not necessarily need a batt if you don't want to use one. i used a fabulous benartex double sided flannel which was a dream to work with and really made my quilt very soft/fluffy/warm/fabulous! i buy 100% wool items take them home- deconstruct them & toss them right into the washer- generally i add very very hot water(heated on my stove) along with the hottest water from my tap- and i use a regular/heavy agitation cycle- starting it over 2 or 3 times before letting the washer drain---with a small amount of detergent---then a cold rinse- then into the hot dryer- the wools come out fabulously felted & ready to use- i over dye some and use others as they are- the ones that come out really heavy---thicker than i expected are used for special appliques and rugs- i love wool rugs almost as much as i love quilts (almost) my wool quilt has been washed/dried a few times now and comes out wonderful- i believe will be around for a long time after i am gone.