Old 03-18-2012, 04:16 AM
Wanabee Quiltin

Default Piecing a Spool Quilt. Anyone know an easy way ?

I went to an estate sale and picked up several quilt magazines and odds and ends. There was a pattern with the plastic template for a spool quilt. I thought the picture was beautiful and decided I might like to make this. I was rummaging around in a drawer in my quilt room this morning and came upon two pieces of spool blocks that were hand sewn, I had bought these somewhere last year and put them away. I thought I would try sewing them on the machine to make a table topper. I pinned them and was surprised at how difficult it was. I must have used 10 pins on each spool. Sewing them on the machine was difficult but I think it would be just as hard to sew them by hand too. I have so many scraps and would really like to make this spool quilt, it's really pretty. Any ideas from the board are welcome. BTW, I do know how to sew curves, can put in a sleeve in a dress easily. I did match up dots etc to get this right. It turned out perfect, but I stuck my finger on one of the pins and bled all over the fabric. Also worried about all those pins falling into my sewing machine. Any and all suggestions welcome.