View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 AM
DogHouseMom

I've always hand basted with the quilt taped to the floor. Then I discovered (courtesy of QB) the Sharon Shamber video of using boards to hand baste, so I've done my last two quilts with that method (only difference being I have always basted with water soluble thread). Then, also courtesy of QB, I found info about spray basting. I happened to have a can of Duro All Purpose Adhesive spray (which is NOT the 505 spray that everyone recommends, but I was only doing a 12" practice sandwich to practice a quilt motif) that I use to stick my hand drawn quilting motif templates to the quilt, and I tried that on some practice quilt sandwiches and I liked it!! It adhered well, but was easy enough to pull up to reposition if needed, didn't gum the machine, and washed out.

If I ever spray baste a large quilt though I'm going to have to either take it to my husbands shop, or wait for a day without wind. I don't like the idea of using spray inside the house in large quantities that a large quilt would require.

The advantage of hand basting with water soluble thread using the boards is that you get a very straight quilt, no puckers at all, nice and tight (but not too tight), you can do it sitting down (yippee!!), and you don't have to pull pins out or clip threads as you quilt (because I use water soluble - the threads disappear when I wash the quilt). Once in a while my foot will catch a thread, in which case I will snip it, but I don't have to the pull the threads through. The disadvantage is still the fact that I have to hand baste (I hate hand work).

The advantage of spray basting is all of the above with the exception that there are no threads to get in the way, and you don't have to hand baste. You can baste a quilt in half the time (or less). The disadvantage is the space it requires to hang a quilt that large to baste, and the smell of using that much spray indoors, and the fact that you have to cover the surrounding area with newspaper to catch over spray. If you could hang the quilt on the side of a barn on a windless day ... PERFECT.

Have never, and will never use pins. I don't like the idea of stopping and removing pins every so many inches while quilting.