View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Judi in Ohio

I just got an A-1 22" on a 12' table. I drew and drew and drew until I got my machine. Then I threw some rags together and played and watched YouTube - don't forget this valuable resource. Many great quilters have videos on there. I ditched my zippers and got red snappers - nifty little buggers. I especially like the side snappers - more even than just clamping with clamps. If you just remember it is just a huge sewing machine, oil and clean it like a regular machine and don't be intimidated by it's size. I have my first semi -serious piece on the machine now and am doing a Sharon Schamber pantograph all over - everything else was just a bit of this and that. If you know her work you know it has lots of curves and I am enjoying it. My tension is off right now -on my plug uglies it was perfect - of course - I may throw another practise piece on before I get serious. My dh needs throws for when he's wood working so I am obliging him. I do feel myself getting smoother. One of my best practise ideas was to just do large and small circles all over. I started out doing squared corners and it was frustrating - once I got over that hump my designs looked much better. My drawn feathers are really beautiful - hope they translate on cloth soon!!! lol