Thread: Quilting Goal
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 07:20 AM
clsurz

Default Quilting Goal

I had told myself that for 2012 I wanted to make at least one child's charity quilt a week but here it is March and I've already fallen behind. I am however going to work towards that goal and get as close to it as possible by the end of the year.

So this weekend I've spent my time cutting through my stash and busting it out. I have managed to cut starting with all my scraps from 2 1/2 inch to 6 1/2 inch squares and building up tops to be sewed and than putting each tops pieces in plastic bags and labeling them.

These will not be complicated quilt blankets for sure if I plan to do that many in a year and it will help displaced children out of there homes, homeless, and protective shelter where moms go with there children to get away from horrible men who would abuse them.

Any scraps left from what I'm cutting I will eventually use in some craft project that I will create as I go along. Most likely some type of scrappy project. I did several of those last year and folks around here are in awe of how it turns out.

So now that it is heating up around here and will soon be in the high 90s and into the 100 degree summer will be a good time to catch up on it since it will be to hot to be outside. Will rather stay indoors and do something creative where it is air-conditioned.

I plan to talk to a long arm quilter (in one of the guilds I belong to) to see if she is willing to quilt them for me for FREE and she and I will both get credit for making these to give away to folks that can really do them. Of course I hope to self teach myself free motion quilting and do some that way as well.

I'm pretty much done with planting my veggies, already enjoying some of it, and rest will come in the weeks ahead. I will still find time at least a couple times a month to play with dyeing my own fabrics and have already been putting UGLY fabric away for that purpose.

Now I must go back to my cutting room and cut more fabric for this project. Later!