Old 03-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Candace

Nancy, machines with horizontal hooks are notorious for not performing FMQ as well as those with vertical hooks. Although the timing may need a little tweaking, it simply may be the design of the machine. If the machine is doing all of it's embroidery type stitches with no problems, I would be very surprised if it's timing needed any adjustment. This is why both the 401 and 500 series are not the best machines to FMQ either. The raised throat plate on those two don't help, of course.
Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
You know this surprises me? I always heard the 201 was the 'finest machine' Singer made. It surprises me that it doesn't do a good job with FM. I have to agree with Monica about the 15, though. I use my 15-88 exclusively for FM when I am doing a Quilt as you Go quilt top. I wonder if what Cathy said about skipping stitches with the 319w if it weren't timed correctly could be the problem with the 201's you and Sharon are trying to use? Maybe, not because the 201 is a horizontal hook, and the 319w is a vertical hook?

Monica, those photos of the 201 being cleaned are cool, but with the 319w I had to put back together and time - there was nothing left on the bar it attaches to! I had everything off, including the hook/race, the whole bobbin assembly. All you saw when you looked under the machine was a bar where everything had been! So scary looking! I should have taken photos too, but I was too stressed out about getting it all back together! I have to admit it was a pretty cool learning experience!

Nancy