Old 03-18-2012, 09:16 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Nancy, machines with horizontal hooks are notorious for not performing FMQ as well as those with vertical hooks. Although the timing may need a little tweaking, it simply may be the design of the machine. If the machine is doing all of it's embroidery type stitches with no problems, I would be very surprised if it's timing needed any adjustment. This is why both the 401 and 500 series are not the best machines to FMQ either. The raised throat plate on those two don't help, of course.
I agree with the part about those raised plates. I have never tried to FM with either my 503a or my 401a, just because of that raised throat plate thing. I don't think I would be comfortable doing FM with those plates raised up! I would think the 201, though, would be a great FM machine just because of the mechanics of its stitch? I never compared the vertical hooks with the horizontal hooks! If what you say is true, Candace, my 319w would be a good FM quilting machine! Especially now that you found out that it drop its feed dogs! This is another thing for all of us to learn - anyone else tried to FM with a horizontal hook/bobbin assembly versus the vertical hook? I know the 66 doesn't drop its feed dogs - not sure about the 99? I will have to check one of my 99's.Miriam I can certainly understand you doing FM with the 15 clone. The 15's are just the best for FM.Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-18-2012 at 09:19 AM.