Old 03-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Divokittysmom

Default Question regarding mismarking Featherweights by Singer

I have been searching for a Featherweight in great condition. I have found one that is gorgeous, looks to be in mint condition. The problem is that the Serial # does not match any Featherweights on the chart. It is a single letter of H and that dates it to 1906,but Featherweights weren't manufactured until 1933. Even Singer told the seller it was made in 1906!! The photo clearly shows a Featherweight, along with a photo of the serial #. The gentleman says he is stumped as he knows it is a FW, as it was his grandmothers.
Here is a copy of an article that the seller found regarding mismarked FW's. I have tried googling it and this is the only thing I could find on mismarked FW's.
More information regarding the serial number. I found the following on a website: thefeatherweightactory.com - "There may be cases where your serial number does not fall within a Featherweight production range and may be listed under a different model number machine, such as a Model 15. This does not make the machine "rare" but is simply an error by Singer when they prepared the historical serial number lists or the data was simply recorded in error at the time of production" Hope this helps.

I will be interested to see what the response is, as I am purely stumped too! Is this machine for real??? Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.