Old 03-19-2012, 06:15 AM
paintmejudy

Default And the train has reached the station for destination #3

Okay, welcome aboard and here we go.

A note to those of you who were unable to make your blocks 10-½” square - do what you need to do to make them square. I made a notation in the last paragraph where you see the **

In this part of the mystery quilt you will use what I called fabric F, only because I chose it last. I had told you it would be the dominant color. If you were undecided at this point as to what you wanted to use as fabric F, scroll down to the picture of the four blocks sewn together, which shows just how prominently F will show up in your quilt. If you want a more subtle look, or one that is brighter or darker, now is the time to change your fabric choice.

Place the F fabric (my probably too-bright orange) 4-½” x 9-½” rectangles on the 10-½” squares as follows:Right sides together, put lower right corner of F where the seam of strip 2 and 3 come together on the right side of your 10-½” block. Place the lower left corner of F where it touches the bottom edge or the 10-1/.2“ square. The upper left corner of F will touch the left side of the square. Sew ¼” seam. Trim off lower right corner of large square as shown. Press fabric F as shown. Trim block to 10-½“. Make three more blocks the same way, making sure you lay your 10-½” square in the same starting position as the first block you made. The four blocks will be identical. Sew these four blocks together as shown.

Take the 1-½”strips of fabric F and add borders.You pieced top will measure 22-½“” square.

** for those of you who are working with undersized blocks, you may need to adjust how the rectangle falls on the strip block. But put down the block on the right side as directed, put the corner on the bottom, and the left side of the block will not perfectly line up. But this will be okay when you trim the rectangle excess fabric. Now cut your F strips wider than the 1-½“ in the initial directions , sew them onto the 4 pin wheel blocks, and trim to a 22-½” square.
Attached Thumbnails 006.jpg   007.jpg   010.jpg  

Last edited by paintmejudy; 03-19-2012 at 06:23 AM.