Thread: Sewing classes
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 05:56 PM
stampinteresa

I know each area is different when it comes policies and curriculum. Our area that I still work in has home economics now called FACS - Family and Consumer Sciences. This includes: Nutrition, Independent Living, Child Development to name a few. Yes, they still learn to cook, learn to sew and the final sewing project is a pair of pajama pants. They still have machines in cabinets and some portables. The care of the machines is hard for the county. Also, I am sorry someone said that a school there daughter or friend was in let them get away with .... in these classes. That would not happen at our school. You can have fun but learn respect. In Child Dev. they have the opportunity to carry the egg or a computerized baby.
It is different from what many of us grew up on; but I am 53 and it was changing during my last two years of high school. (Now my old high school teaches a unit on mending and taking care of your clothes but more time on the Nutrition and cooking. They have a few portable machines.)
Our school also continues to teach the shop classes where the students make some very impressive things. However, they must pass safety and usage tests for each and every machine before they can use them. They teach architectual drafting on the computers...very cool. It is one of the reasons my cousin went to VA Tech to study design in architecture??? They have ag classes for our farm boys and girls. FFA( Future Farmers of America) is a big part in our community as well.
As Juniors and Seniors, the students have the opportunity to interview for placement in courses at our technology and science center (what we would call vocational school). They offer many but here are a few: Cosmotology, CNA, LPN, masonary, carpentry, construction, auto body, auto mechanics, child care, ROTC and computer classes. Most of these classes offer the students the opportunity to take state licensure tests.
The school also has many programs for advanced placement and dual enrollment classes for the more college minded students. As for the sports, those students have to have a certain grade point to be eligible to play and class conduct problems are taken to the coach if the student needs a second reminder. I am proud of our school.
As for people wanting to learn to sew and craft; I do this in my home and through organizations in my church, It is a way of giving back. I think I shared on the vintage thread that while here in Indy; I have been teaching my step-sis to sew and she brought an old sewing machine over and I thought it was great and offered to buy it. She gave it to me for the lessons. It is a 1950 Singer featherweight. So you give and sometimes good things come back. Teresa