Thread: White Batik
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 PM
DogHouseMom

I had a batik that had such light color to it that it was almost white. I had to hold it up to light to see the very faint markings on it. They showed well enough when it was wet, but when it was dry it was very faint. There was some overall color to it ... a very light cream.

I've seen some recently in LQS that are very light, but none recently that were as light as the one I had. I've only got scraps left otherwise I'd offer it to you.

As Hollis and Ghostrider pointed out, there is no such thing as a "plain batik". Batik is a dye process, not a fabric. The fabrik used however is slightly different than most quilting cottons as it has a higher thread count. You might check with fabric stores that carry a variety of quality fabrics to see if they have a white in a high thread count that has the same "hand" as a batik.

You also said you wanted the same fabric so the shrinkage factor would be the same. I presume you are not pre-washing? If not ... have you considered pre-washing and drying - that way neither of them will shrink after pieced/quilted (and if you use a cotton batting, the batting if not pre-washed/dried WILL shrink and give you that "crinkled" look if that is what you are looking for).