Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 AM
onaemtnest

Originally Posted by Havplenty
onalee thanks and those beds look wonderful. my cats never seem to like beds as i have bought them several and even tried to entice them into the beds with catnip. catnip doesn't seem to work on the bengal. samson, my tuxedo, likes his head propped up so he is always trying to find a pillow to lay against and shaka, my bengal, likes lying on my leather furniture. so i made kitty pads like the one in the chair samson is lying on. i made a bunch of them to give to the rescue groups (both of my kitties are rescues) and still have a bunch to go. i cut up two queen sized really thick mattress pads (brand new as i had melted them in the dryer) as the batting and used tshirt fabric & corduroy that i had in my stash. i may try some fleece pads next time i am near a remnant bin.

how do you keep the fiberfill in place once you wash them? fiberfill when not tacked down has a tendency to bunch up in one spot.
Interestingly enough Girlie Girl didn't like any beds until I made these. She preferred either my lap or the leather sofa. Kip-Purr the yellow Tom he 'relaxes' almost anywhere! :0) But since I made these beds they both prefer the beds. Except Girlie...my lap is best. :0)

Washing machine to dryer...once tied the stuffing stays put. If it does bunch you just take the pillow from the bottom with one hand the inside with your other hand then grab the fiber fill and re-shred/pull apart and it fluffs up just like new. I know the shelter has washed the donation ones tons of times. So you might try one just to see if your 'babies' will like them....There always seems to be competition for the one bed on the couch that is closest to my DH and my chairs. :0)

KRYSTYNA ~ Once I made these the two cats only sleep in the beds, hence shedding is attracted to the polar fleece .... since I made the beds and keep them on the couch that is their preferred sleeping area. What is so cool is the fiber fill seems to radiate heat and fluffs around them so they love them. It will be interesting this summer if they still will like them but it is never really 'hot' here so we'll see.

I made one for our Grandpuppy a 100# Lab....our son tells us that Connor only sleeps on his bed and no longer jumps up on the couch when they aren't looking or at work.

Warm Smiles,
Onalee