View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 PM
pastimesquiltdesign

Default Light & Lemony Angel Whispers

[h=3]Light & Lemony Angel Whispers[/h]

This is a very light, low-fat dessert. I saw the idea for this easy recipe on Pinterest, from Jessie at Living Practically . I added an extra step to make mine even more lemony. Wait, is that a word, lemony? Well I like it so I think I'll use it today.

You will need the following ingredients:

1 pkg Angel Food cake mix
1 or 2 cans of Lemon Creme Pie filling
Powdered sugar to sprinkle on the top
Yep, that's all you need.
Pour the egg white and cake flour envelopes into a large mixing bowl. Add one can of pie filling and stir until smooth. Ta-dah! That was easy. Spray and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan. Spread the batter evenly in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. It should be slightly browned on top. Allow the cake to cool for 5-10 minutes, then dust lightly with powdered sugar.
You are now finished, unless you want to take it to the next level of lemony goodness. Are you with me on this? After the cake has completely cooled. Cut into 24 squares. Slice each square in half horizontally but not quite all the way through.

Open the second can of pie filling. Spread one heaping spoonful of pie filling in between the layers. If you like coconut you could mix some in with the pie filling before spreading it between the layers.
Ooooh, I should have thought of that before taking the pictures.

Now that is both beautiful and delicious with just the right amount of luscious lemon flavor. I served them on my great-grandmother's Early American Pattern Glass blue daisy and button cake stand from the early 1900's. They looked so pretty. A great Springtime dessert.