Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 AM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
I'm with Mary.

One afternoon, a worker at my LQS spent over an hour with me helping me audition backgrounds for my (poorly chosen) main fabrics. She didn't tell me to start over because my choices weren't the best but helped me with good nature. Granted it was slow but her attention was really appreciated. When I decided to scrap it and start over, she was there to help me again. This is what I love about using an LQS.

And I especially like it when they point me to another shop when my main shop doesn't carry, or isn't inclined to order, fabric choices that I need.

And...the prices aren't always higher than on-line. For example, I wanted to buy a brand of pins that aren't readily available just anywhere on line. When I priced them from the vendors on line and added in shipping, it was cheaper to buy them at the LQS.

I know not everybody can afford to patronize the LQS but, if you can, please reserve at least a portion of your spending for the local little guy.

Off my soapbox - I know I didn't answer your question about CT. I've never used them. Sorry.
Thank you for reminding me to use my LQS. I live 45 minutes away from one and 1 1/2 hour from the rest so I've been lazy lately. I hardly shop at CT, but do shop at other online shops. And you are so right about the help you get. Last week I went to my LQS that's 45 min. away and bought two books I would never have seen online and I needed some red for the Christmas stockings. She said she didn't really have any great reds at the moment, but she grabbed her bag and pulled out her own personal stash (of red) and cut me off how much I needed and didn't even charge me. I think I need to think like you. I need advice all the time and online stores don't do that. I only buy quilt kits online, never yardage because I can't tell if the colors go together. I need to keep our LQS in business. Thank you for the very good advice!!!!!