Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 AM
yayaquilts

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
There is an announcement on QB that Bearly Stitching in Arizona is closing.....
my BERNINA 1630 was purchased at Bearly Stitching when they were here...we still miss them....feeling
sad.
I went there on Monday--even sadder is that their fabric selection has already been picked over and they don't have that much. And the fabric was only 20% off--the online ad said higher percentage off.

It's sad, though to see a LQS close especially when it may be the only one close to you. I went to 3 LQS here in AZ (Peoria, Surprise and Goodyear) and prices were definitely higher than I have seen in SoCal.

I realize they have to raise prices because the cost of fabric has gone up. But not sure they need to be this high. I worked in a LQS for 6 years--they doubled the cost and added 29 cents for shipping/yard (which makes it a 100% markup profit. So when the fabric cost $5/yd from the manufacturer, it would be $10.29/yd, and other LQS's elsewhere were charging $11.50-12.99/yd. It just seems to me if they reduced their profit margin quilters would buy more yardage (say 1/2 and whole yards rather than 1/4 yd when they weren't sure what they might use it for). Instead more shops are closing. 50-80% profit is still a profit, right!?! And quilters would return if they could get more for the money!!