Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Lynn Street in MI

Personally, I want to keep the LQS's in business. On the other hand, a lot of my quilts are donations and gifts, so the more I save on fabric and notions, the more I can donate. What to do? I order a lot of fabrics on line at super sales when available, getting a lot of really beautiful fabrics at $4 or $5 a yard. These are usually in the stash. When I design and select fabrics for a quilt, I try to select a few very special fabrics for pizzazz, most of which come from my LQS, then I use my stash to augment and fill in where needed. I always enjoy going into the LQS and seeing and touching the fabrics. I like giving them my business and chatting with the staff who are mostly always helpful and fun. When I need something special to add to a quilt, I visit the shop with my stash elements and work to jazz it up with shop selections. I also shop their clearance aisle and buy for my stash there. The LQS would always be my first choice, but for stash building, you cannot beat some of the online sales. I just make sure it's a really great price; if it's only a small savings, I go to the LQS first.