Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 AM
jaciqltznok
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Couple of things to keep in mind. They do have their fabric line and threads manufactured for them, to they do not have to go through a warehouse/distributor to order those - one less markup. They probably also buy their books directly from the publisher - one less mark up. Quilt Shops are ordering Fabrics/Books/Notions, etc. from a Distributor therefore they are paying an additional markup that in itself is a HUGE difference.

An internet only shop does not have to pay for: Rent, utilities, liability insurance, employees, etc.
While you may (or may not) get a better price on items from internet only shops - you also do not get any of their expertise: Help with a pattern/fabric choices, nor can you go in an look around when you just need to get out of the house or have some adult company who understands your hobbies and can put you in a much better mood
CT is a HUGE operation with several warehouses and MANY, MANY employees, they also have a B&M shop. TONS of overhead! Just because someone sells online people think they have NO overhead. I sold online for 10 years and let me tell you, I might have been a small, one woman operation, but I had lots of overhead. Just shipping materials alone can add a fortune to the cost of items! Then comes the insurance riders, utilities, the vehicle, the shipping, the CPA, and the list goes on! Trust me ALL businesses have overhead!