Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 AM
jljack

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
OK, gots a question for those of you who clean up ancient, antique, old, decrepit, grunge covered, sewing machines and succeed in not destroying the decals. Or, what's left of them.

I've been slowly cleaning a very thick coating of solidified oil and grunge off the exterior of the Minnesota MDL ~B~ I got last week. The outside of this machine looked like the inside of an old truck engine. I can actually see the decals now and they actually have some gold, green and red color left in them.

I've been gently using the Goop non pumice hand cleaner with soft cloths, tooth brushes and cotton balls and am pretty close to having gotten as much off as I think I can with out ruining what's left of the decals.

The Goop has softened the grunge and solidified oil but some of it doesn't want to come off. When I do get to the bottom of it the surface is sticky with Goop residue.

My question is, how do you get rid of the Goop residue?
I tried a damp cloth and it turned what was left of the clear coat milky, so that's pretty much out.

Once I've gotten it as clean as I can I'd like to put a coat of wax or something on it, but I can't really do that with any oily residue on it.

Joe

Joe, when I got my 1890 Davis HAVF machine it was coated in gunk, and every metal piece was brown with caked on gunk. I only used Dawn dish detergent and sewing machine oil to clean it, and Bar Keepers Friend to clean the bright metal. I had no sticky residue issues, and all the gunk came off. It took quite a while and a lot of patience, but it did come clean.