Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Honeynga

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
This is just my personal opinion, but selling online is SO much cheaper than selling in a storefront. My guess it is a good marketing strategy to sell low and sell quantity. The online shops that try to sell at LQS prices undoubtedly sell much less unless it it free shipping. When you add shipping to the product you often pay more than at a local shop.

I don't know about their manufacturing their own, I think they just have their name put on the fabrics...perhaps they do some design work. It is like buying a generic brand at the grocery store...they don't make their own ketchup, some other company - often a name brand Co. will make it and label it for them.
I agree about doing business on line is so much cheaper........sadly, it is putting the smaller local quilt shops out of business and it is a loss to everyone. My favorite yarn shop in Atlanta has closed its physical doors.....no more sitting around the table knitting, talking, sharing, no more all night knitting fests, etc; they will sell yarn and other supplies but you just can't go in there, and I miss them terribly. Sometimes it isn't always about making the 120 mile round trip to buy something, but it is about the experience of looking, touching, sharing that is just as important as leaving with a bag !