View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 PM
margecam52

I feel that as long as I am close (within a thread or so) of 1/4"...and I am using the exact same thread and machine throughout the quilt...I am fine. Yes, my finished quilt may be a bit larger/smaller than the pattern states...but it's my quilt and I'm fine with that.

Not all measuring tapes/rulers have the exact same marks...so if you are real close...like within a thread width..just keep that seam allowance consistant...that's the main goal...don't be right on for one block and a stitch width off for the next...that's where the trouble happens.
Actually...I stitch a bit smaller than 1/4" (made a red mark on my clear foot)...and when I have all the blocks done...I check the size and trim to equal the size needed or if there is more than 1/16" difference...I trim to the size of my smallest block...so all blocks are the same size.

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
Please help me. I have read over and over again about what to do to make sure your 1/4 inch seam is really 1/4 of an inch and just can't seem to make it come up exactly 1/4 of an inch. What happens if it's off a tiny bit but all of the seams are sewed at the same width? Will it screw up my quits really bad or will it just make the pattern be a little larger or smaller depending on which way the seam is off?

When I piece the pieces together and pressed them, they lay flat. However, I keep reading about how important it is to keep seams at 1/4 inch.

Thank you in advance for your help.