Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM
nurseknitsLaura

On cleaning filthy machines, I have some thoughts. I love a filthy frozen, free machine. I owe them a lot, because when it is already so bad, I am not afraid to work on it. The two clean and shiny machines I have bought were much less satisfying- nothing to do! My cleaning of machines got much more successful and had better results, with less decal loss, when i realized one thing: they didn't get that dirty in a day, and they weren't going to get clean in a day. Miz kaki has talked of covering a machine in baby oil and just letting it soak for a week before she even starts on it. I think that is a wise course. The old finishes seem to respond well to oil, we know for sure they were designed to tolerate oil, and once the dirt has loosened up, it is a simple matter o patient slow wiping with millions o cotton balls, or alternately, squares of quilt batting or old flannel sheets cut up small. You do want to go through a lot of cotton, as the dirt is abrasive, and so after the cotton is dirty, you toss it. I have had machines really transformed by patient cleaning, sometimes by three or four patient cleanings a week apart. They seem to continuously improve. These are just my thoughts and experiences, I am self taught and unschooled. But I have had results I find satisfying. Laura