View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 AM
slomio

Default binding joining modification

I do this method a little different. I fold the binding beginning on the 45 degree angle and press it and do not cut it! Pin it to the quilt edge around the center of one side of the quilt. I start sewing the binding on about 6" or more down from this end. When I have gone around the quilt, I stop sewing when I get almost 6" from the beginning of the binding that was pinned down. I remove the quilt from the machine. Lay the loose binding tail along the quilt edge SMOOTHLY and tuck it under the beginning binding fold. (Make sure the beginning part is smoothly laid down as well). Where the tail is lined up on top of the the inside fold raw edge, I cut the binding tail with a straight cut. (You can mark the spot where it meets the raw edge, and then cut it straight with scissors or place on a mat and rotary cut). Open up the fold and match the edges of the two binding ends (L shape like you join two binding strips), right sides together, pin them together. The fold line is your 45 degree sewing line! Some times it is a little difficult to put the strips in the machine with them attached to the quilt if you didn't leave them unsewn enough. Sew on the diagonal line. Cut off the excess so you leave a 1/4" seam allowance on the binding connection. Re-Fold the binding, lay it along the quilt edge, and sew the binding down the rest of the way. I even use this method when binding small items, just have to leave enough unsewn binding so you can pull it away from the quilt enough to get the two ends into the machine to sew them together.