View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Geri B

First, what brand do you have. Look at the website of the mfg to see if they offer any classes or tutorials. Do you have a manual or is there one on the website. Important information there about cleaning, maintenance, needle type etc. Go on line and seek out suppliers for thread, patterns, books, dvd. There are many books available-I have found some at the local JoAnn Fab in the quilt book section....Don't try to do too fancy a thing at the beginning....make sure your tension is good.....In 10+ yrs I have never adjusted my bobbin thread tension, only the top.........watch your speed as opposed to the speed of your machine....you must be in sync with it or your stitches will skip or be toe catchers........get a few easy pantos, but get ones that don't have straight lines, curves are easier and easier to camoflauge(sp) if they are not perfect....and they will not be perfect...just use the panto as a guide as to where to go..not a road you must stay on.........if you need to you can pm me, I don't mind giving you some hints....if I can help, I will be happy to....when I started we were few and far between and kind of learned the "hard way", now there are many sources of help and ideas.......just be patient with yourself and you will "dance well"......