Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Mizkaki

Laura,

The number after the dash is unique to each model series. In the 15 series the -88 is a treadle, the-89 is a hand-drank, the -90 is a belted motor, and the-91 is a potted motor. In the 201 series the -1 is a treadle, the -2 is a potted motor, the -3 is a belted motor, and the -4 is a hand-crank.
The 66 and 99 also have differences indicated by the dash number. I probably have some of that info, but would really have to dig to find it.
Yes, guys I do lose things and I'm not nearly as organized as you think.

Cathy

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Donna- I spent a lot of brain cells trying to figure out the Singer number system- like, did-1 mean one thing, and -2 another, across the different models. The best I can figure, it does not. Singer named their machines with numbers. So, 99, 101, 15, 201, etc are the names of the models. Any numbers that come after a dash, like 15-91 is a Model 15, with the slight variations of a potted motor (for example). Some models were made longer than others. Some have better reputations than other, but for everyone has their particular favorites. Once the Machines began to have names ( touch and Sew) instead of numbers, it all sort of went bad. Once I made myself figure out what each machine I owned was, it got easier. I still go to the Sandman page when I get confused. The picture gallery at ISMACS is helpful, too. Hope this helps! Laura

Last edited by Mizkaki; 03-23-2012 at 09:19 AM.