Old 03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Now that we cleared up what is japan on the old ladies, lets take it one step further. After the machines have been japaned the dacals were applied. Then a clear coat was applied to protect the decals. This clear coat is shellac(yes the same shellac used on the cabinets). Shellac when ages takes on a brown orange look that some people think is from smoking etc. It is not it is the aged shellac that is dry and rubbed off so looks shiny in spots and dull in others. So that is why you see brown areas and shiny areas after the machines is cleaned. This can be repaired and the shine will come back on the machine if you know a little about french polising which is nothing more than desolving the old shellac with new and making it bright again. It takes some time to do and practice. I have been doing this on furniture and machines for 40 + years. I hope this is not confussing to you but if you PM I will give detail instructions on how to do this. When you polish with such compounds as TR3 glazing compound you are just removing this shellac coating and making the finish look smooth again but the protection for the decals and the japan is gone. Wax will help protect the finish but will have to applied every six months or so. If you have any question please ask or PM I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. This is a method of restoration that anyone can do and it is easy.
Glen, please do a tutorial on this. I think I want to do it on my Singer FW recently acquired. The gold powder that covered the machine was not dust it was finish - I'm pretty sure. I wiped it off with a damp rag - no oil or soap - the paint and decals aren't too bad but it does need protection.