Thread: Is it true?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 05:05 AM
onaemtnest

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
If you go with a top of the line Gamill and the statler stitcher and all the avaiable options you can be at about $32,000.00
I looked into getting one about 6 years ago , and then quickly figured out that I could send MANY MANY quilts out to pros... who already have the learning curve under their belt , and spend as much time quilting if not more than I do piecing.
If I won the lottery.. doubt I would get one as the cost to send it out to the pros would be a non-issue. But would I end up with a fabric store as my stash... probably.
Well said Lori!

I personally have three major issues cost, space and learning curve.

There are long arm quilters and then there are artist long arm quilters. Having the 'eye' and knowing what design will enhance a quilt is artistry and takes talent. Owning a LA is no guarantee that the person using the machine has an artistic eye, for instance feathers vs swirls on certain designs or colors etc.

That is why I send my quilts out to a long armer and tell she or he, you are the artist do what you think is best. I do NOT have that talent and doubt any amount of learning curve would instill that talent.

JMHO and not meant to offend anyone.