Old 03-24-2012, 05:49 AM
wildyard

There is definitely NO reason to feel less because you follow a pattern. The main reason I don't is because I have trouble doing so. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and the point is to find joy in what you do and if you WANT to try other things, then do it for the fun and challenge, but never because you think you have to or SHOULD.
I have fun playing with patterns on graph paper. I don't even use a calculator, as that would just complicate things and confuse me. LOL. The graph squares help me determine size, because they can represent any size square based on what you assign to them. That then helps with figuring borders, piano keys, block sizes and all the rest. I generally start by drawing the finished size I am going for, based on using an even number of squares for the size block I want to make. IE: For a 9 Patch throw, using 4" squares= 12" block; four x five 12" blocks + borders= throw size. Cut squares 4.5" to finish at 4". For a D9P, add wider or extra border to make up for size lost in extra seaming. TA DAAAAA..... a pattern!
Or draw your outside dimensions, then take the parts you like from other quilts and simply block out areas for them within the space allowed. It's a good idea to first graph each area you want to use seperately so you know how much space is needed and how you might need to adjust each one to fit them all together.
If you would like to see some of the patterns I have made on graph paper, I would be happy to share them. That would probably show better than me trying to explain. LOL

Last edited by wildyard; 03-24-2012 at 05:52 AM.