View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 12:35 PM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
I have been given a Singer K99....bobbin cover is rusty and I need needles.
I wonder if I can get a picture of one in a case so I know what I am looking for.
Joan
Hi Joan,

You will probably want to refer to your machine as a “99K” instead of K99. It’s actually a 99K31, made sometime in the 1950s in the Kilbowie Factory (that’s what the “K” stands for) in Clydebank Scotland. The motor may have been made elsewhere. Look for the metal tag on the motor. Many of the later Kilbowie 99K machines here in the USA have motors on them that say made in Canada.
The model 99K31 has a backtack on it (can sew backwards) that was billed at the time as a "red dot indicator stitch length regulator”, the latest model 99 innovation. The numbered tension dial is also a sign of a later model 99. You’ll notice that AZ Jane’s and Purplefiend’s older machines both have no backtack and have a plain tension dial.

Your machine takes common needles found nearly everywhere, either type 15x1 (Singer number) or 705 (Schmetz number). Replacement slide plates (bobbin cover) are available new. It’s part number 32569. Your machine takes Class 66 bobbins commonly available.
Your machine probably came originally in a rectangular-shaped maroon and cream case like AshleyR’s machine that she has for sale.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/items-s...0-t182642.html

I bought one this morning at a Junk Shop Clearance Sale, but the case had set in water and is completely ruined. The machine has some rust in the hook area and under the machine, but I think I can get it going again. For $5, I couldn’t pass it up. They make great little hand crank machines.

CD in Oklahoma