Old 03-25-2012, 02:37 AM
jlhmnj

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
OK, might I impose on you wonderful people who own a Minnesota Model ~B~ sewing machine?

I'm nearly to the point of finishing the cleaning of the one I have. I'm working on the underside right now and I noticed a broken spring just beneath the shuttle carrier at the front cross member. There are two small screws and only part of the spring or wire guide that used to be there.

Could someone take a clear picture of this part of their machine and post it so I can replicate that part?

Before I started cleaning I broke the only OEM needle I had and as I was cleaning I found the remains of another broken needle. So I'm thinking there's something amiss there.

Query, The Minnesota ~B~ uses the Davis long needle. More like an arrow than a needle. The needle bar is held in place by two screws, easily accessible. If I were reset the needle bar to the proper position to use 15x1 needles, would I run into other problems as well?

My Singer 9W-7 is altered to use 15x1s and works fine.
Was thinking of doing it for this old machine and hoping it would work.

Joe
Hi Joe,
Don't have a Minnesota B but I noticed that the Needlebar, if your a member, has some good pictures under Davis in the photogallery. On my Davis Min "A" all this spring does is return the feed dogs to down at the end of the "stroke". A cam raises the dogs at the beginning. One end of the spring is attached to a screw and the other end goes thru a small hole in the bar that the feed dogs are attached to.
Needles are obtained easily and cheaply enough to make modifying your "B" not really necessary. Boye 10's are the easiest to use but fairly expensive unless you find a bargain. MTx190 is a common industrial needle so they have to be aligned but are inexpensive. These needles are also good for some of the Vertical Feeds if you have or add any down the road to your collection.
Good Luck
Jon