View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 05:36 AM
Rose Marie

I have the same setup but with a different frame. Mine is the Imperial frame and it has tubes that fit inside the rods to hold your leaders. I made leaders from muslin but just bought the leader fabric that is heavier and havnt installed it yet.
This is a big learning process and am frustrated at this point and havnt touched the setup in two months. The domestic machine is a problem. You are so limited with what you can do. Just a 5 inch area to sew on dosnt leave you with the ability to do much but meander.
I wanted to get a cloth ruler that starts in the middle and measures out from both sides but they were expensive.
It would help with lining up your quilt when loading on the frame. It is very important to have it strait on the frame.
Another problem is anchoring the sides of the quilt with stitchs. With a domestic machine 5 in is a real hassel so have not figured out a way to do it except to hand stitch the sides of the quilt to the backing.
I watched alot of videos on you tube and yes you need to use methods that wont take up space. I bought velcro and duck tape but have not used them yet. You need to find the best way to hold the quilt onto the leaders with an easy way to detach without pulling off your leaders. I think tape will be my first try.
I bought some 4 in pantograms to try but that is a big learning curve and didnt line up right so caught my needle on the edge of the quilt. Meandering from the front of the machine works the best for me. I have a stitch regulator attached to my machine and like it alot, but it cost $500.
Just wish I could afford at least an 18 in throat machine.
Good luck with your adventure.