Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Glenn, I thought you went fishing. I have two machines that need the Glenn treatment - One is a Singer FW and the other is a really old Singer 99 - both are missing the Shellac. The 99 has the melted goo from the cord looks like - anyway the cord cover is mostly missing - sure would not want to plug that thing in. (I can just visualize Grandma sitting there sewing and all of a sudden an arc of fire, the cord melts, Grandma falls off her chair and as the house burns down, Grandpa says, "See, I told you you should have kept the treadle and not gotten that newfangled thing") I pulled that out - it's getting a hand crank some day. I cleaned it up. I was amazed - I took apart the bobbin area to clean - some of that engineering carried over to the 401s. I dug around and found most of my tools - they were all over the place.... Then I cleaned up the Alden 3/4 size some more. I like that machine a lot - it's a 15 clone. Then I opened up a bentwood case - decals are damaged but I like the machine - it's a pretty little 3/4 size something - I wrote down the number so I can look it up it is G9226827. I found a couple machines in the shop I couldn't figure out where they came from - they don't work... of course... I also found a 15 clone with no brand - looks exactly like a Universal - that one doesn't look used at all. I think it came from an auction last fall and I stuck it in there and haven't had time to look at it. It doesn't need anything - kind of bums me out... looks like new - so does the case - I found a Kenmore under the table and couldn't remember where it came from - it doesn't move - then I remembered I bought a treadle frame and it was in it - looks like 1970s machine - I found 2 White's - pretty cool looking and a newer plastic White - it looks like it might be a nice machine if it works. I got another Kenmore working - it's a newer machine - sounds funny just cause it's new - there is something about the older machines that sounds right. Then I looked at the old Universal 15 clone that needs a tension or something - put it back - had it out to compare to the no name machine. There are a bunch more in there - no counting - I would probably faint if I knew how many are in there.

Last edited by miriam; 03-25-2012 at 01:53 PM.