View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 01:49 AM
mcdaniel023

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Stitching by machine NEVER looks as pretty as hand-sewn - I don't care what anyone says... :D
Well, I beg to differ with you on this point. I'm sure you meant no offense by your comment, but I would like to toss in another perspective here. There are many of us out here, that, for whatever health reason may not be physically able to whip stitch our bindings by hand, myself included. To me, our quilts are quite beautiful because we have found a way to pursue our love for quilting and giving to others despite our various handicaps.

When I give someone a quilt or other project that I made for them, they look not at the binding and the perfection of the workmanship, but rather, they look at me and smile appreciatively, grateful for the time and effort that I gave to their gift knowing that it was more difficult for me to do than someone without health issues.
I don't think anyone could have said it better. Most of us quilt because we love doing it. We aren't entering it in a show. We give them to people we know will appreciate them, perfect or not. I honestly like the binding hand done, but because of arthritis, I know that in the future, that will probably not be an option for me and I will be perfectly ok with it.