View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 04:39 AM
LindaMRB

I have not read all these posts and have not attended many shows, but I think different aspects of a quilt can be judged on different levels.
Design
Complexity/difficulty
Use of color/fabric
Piecing
Quilting
Binding
Overall finished product
Other?

Seems to me hand quilting should not be judged with machine quilting: two very different skills and end result
Some quilts have great color choices but may be pieced badly (or just not perfect)
I think it should be broken down and separated. If one quilt wins several areas, then it is '"best in show." Or something.
Do they allow for visitors to vote on their favorite quilt?
Seems to me all these areas are noteworthy. Beginners might have a category of their own?
(went to a robotics event recently where the rookies got recognition for their first accomplishments)

There is room for lots of people to be rewarded for different levels. Different strokes for different folks...

There are always some folks who win everything: I saw the Mona Lisa in Paris and was not impressed. Couldn't even get close but I understand the value of the painting in history. I prefer the Impressionists. Even so, Monet was not the only one! I don't expect to win anything, ever. For anything I do. I do it because it makes me feel good and because I like to create. Period. It's too bad some folks get ignored. That's just the way it is.