View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Quiltgranny

Originally Posted by harkness48
Luckily, I wasn't too fast at putting it on a computer, as both the desktop & laptop that I had at that time crashed. That would have been 2 downloads.
I put it on my replacement laptop only, - & that recently crashed! That would have been my 3 & last, - meaning that I would no longer be able to use the program I had paid $150 for.
EQ does limit installations to 4 times to help protect them against piracy and copyright issues. They feel bad that they've had to do this, but alas, too many unscrupulous folks have copied their software for themselves and others.

You can call them and explain your crashes, they will work with you I'm told under certain circumstances (my paraphrase). I'm about to find out just how that works. I've had crashes in the last few years and have now met my limit of 4 installs, too. At worst, you may have to pay $35 for a new install. I suggest you give them a call and see what you can work out. I'll report back how it goes for me, too. Best of luck to you!!

I did just read this on their site, looks like we may be able to reinstall on a same computer. I'll give it a try later today and let you know.

About Activation

If EQ6 only has four activations, does it take an activation each time I have to reinstall the program?
Once you install EQ6 on a computer, reinstalling on that same computer is not considered an activation, unless you change the computer considerably, such as getting a new hard drive. This means under normal situations you can install and reinstall continuously on the same computer.

When you purchase software, most or at least some software only allow you to legally install on one computer. So if you have a PC and a laptop, that would require two separately purchased and registered copies to be legal. Is that true for EQ as well?
We allow more installation possibilities. We realize you may have a desktop, a laptop, a computer at work, and possibly one at another home, and want to install EQ6 on all of them. This does not break copyright law, since you are the only one using EQ6 on these computers. But there are only 4 activations possible. If you bought a new computer and have already used 4 activations, you would not be able to install again.[b]