View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 AM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
That's when you adjust your needle over so that you can concentrate on sewing and not worry about the 1/4 seam
If I were sewing on a machine with a movable needle, I would definitely do this - it's easy and as long as you remember where to put the needle, it will get you consistent results. This is a super handy function on the machines that have it and I use it often on my modern ones.

But, I piece and quilt almost exclusively on a 1947 model 15 - a straight-stitch machine with no option to put the needle anywhere but where the factory put it.

This is where the physical barrier works so well - measure your scant 1/4" seam, set your tape/moleskin/guide and you're good to sew.

Prism99, you gave me a good idea - that craft foam is thicker than the plastic guides and sturdier than moleskin - if I coated the back with Aleene's Tack it Over and Over glue, it might well be the best option I've tried so far. I really love that glue for a lot of different craft applications - every time I turn around, I find a new use for it. Thanks!