View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 AM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I quilt so much and I am sewing along and all of a sudden my hand will jerk and I get a wobbly line. So, I have to rip it out and start all over. I try for a scant using a seam guide next to my needle, but sometimes my fabric is pressed tightly against the guide where other times I can see a small space between my fabric and the guide. And I'm trying to be as accurate as possible. I never do exchanges because I would be embarrassed by my seams (if anyone turned over my blocks). I really try to do scant, but my fingers get tensed up and so does my arms and back because I'm focusing so much on that scant. Sometimes I have to quit quilting for the day because of exhaustion. I like when I just use my seam guide and say "heck" if I wobble. Then I enjoy the process and can really get a lot done. My LQS owner says I'm an excellent quilter (which I don't believe for one minute) and I just give my quilts away to family, so I like when I don't worry about exact. Maybe 1 out of every 4 times I sew a piece, I get an exact. Otherwise, it's more than 2 or 3 threads different. One thread I can't even see with my cheaters on. Two threads are hard to see also. I move my needle over one and then my seams are way too small...more like 1/8". Then I'm way off. So, I am just going to use my seam gauge and make my quilts. I will never enter a contest or give my quilts to another quilter, so I'm fine with what I do.