Thread: R.I.P. Rowenta
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 09:37 AM
onaemtnest

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
My sunbeam is just starting to sputter and isn't getting hot enough anymore, but it lasted over 20 years...over 3 years quilting. I've spent the last 2 days looking at iron reviews, and am now more confused than ever.
It IS CONFUSING, I agree wholeheartedly!!!!

I think for me that it's a hit or miss thing with irons. I've owned 3 Rowenta's. First one was a sturdy-long-lived-no-leaking. The second Rowenta leaked despite following manufacturers explicit instructions within 6 months. Rowenta replaced that one and the second one started leaking within about 6 months too. I was not a heavy user of the iron at that time. It is now relegated to dry ironing only.

What did I buy for steam? An inexpensive Shark Professional @ Walmart. I now am a heavy user in the quilt room and the Shark Professional, after a year or so of heavy use is hanging in there.

Iron's along with toasters have never, for me, been reliable in my 45 years of marriage, so I've always called both of these appliances disposable like someone else mentioned here! :0(

I have my lights on my sewing center, along with the iron plugged into a power strip. I've 'trained' myself that if the lights are on when I leave the sewing room that indicates the iron is still on so I turn off the power strip killing the lights and iron.

SINGERBABE'S comment about an iron still burning up because it was still plugged in, even though it was switched off....is troubling. I will ask my electrician hubby if I need to be worried that the iron is still capable of self igniting even if the power strip is turned off!

Last edited by onaemtnest; 03-27-2012 at 09:51 AM.