View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 AM
swilliamsny

Default Batting - to wash, or not

I bought some Hobbs Premium 80/20, soaked it and did a gentle spin in the washer to remove some of the extra water. Yuck!!! There are spots that have pulled apart almost completely, and the amount of pilling is worrying - I don't want the quilt lumpy before I've even started.

So I went and bought Quilter's Dream 100% cotton, the lower loft, and read on their instructions NOT to pre-wash. They claim only 1% shrinkage, but they also say hand-drying is best. The quilt I'm making is for my kids' school auction, and the squares have been silk-screened with the kids' artwork. I don't want the quilt to shrink too much once it's done, because I'd like the artwork to remain (relatively) flat. But this is a twin-sized quilt, and is going to be used by kids. There's a really, really good chance that whomever wins the quilt is going to throw it in the dryer. If not at first, probably after air-drying once or twice

Would you recommend I pre-wash the Quilter's Dream anyway? I'm worried I'll ruin it, like I did the Hobb's, but maybe it's a much better product? Any help is immensly appreciated. Between the silk-screening process, and the piecing, I've worked to hard on this to put the wrong thing inside!

Thanks, Shauna [ATTACH=CONFIG]323156[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg