View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 10:10 AM
pmrosie

Default Thank you, from NY

I generally lurk, just reading everyones topics and tricks. I have occasionally responded to someone's topic. After a few months of this, I really need to say thank you to everyone and to introduce myself.
I am a new quilter. 25 years ago, I made a quilted pillow by hand and loved the finished product, but boy was it hard work. Here I am, 25 years later, at it again, just using a machine to do it all.
This is what I have learned from you all so far.
1. I HATE TO SANDWICH THE MATERIAL!!! I become very frustrated by this, but know that I just have to keep doing it to get it down to a science.
2. Despite basting spray use, USE SAFETY PINS! Refer to item one. Also, keep the pins open, as all will state in their tips.
3. Quilters are way to hard on themselves. I look at others quilts and think, "I want to be able to do that!", while the person who quilted the item is perseverating about all the mistakes, colors, etc.
4. I am not alone with the problem of being like a 10 year old with ADD when it comes to fabric choosing. I have found a partial solution to this. The Joann's where I shop has a person who will work with you. It's a beautiful thing.
5. Be fearless. I have problems marking fabric. I hate to draw on the top I just finished to mark the quilting lines. I know it will wash out, I just always have the fear that it won't.
6. I learned that I am no where as good and talented as someone that has been doing quilting for years. I normally would become frustrated and give up, but through reading all your encouragement I am learning patience and to keep at it.
7. Measure, Measure, Measure!!!!
8. READ!!!!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this as well as the time you take to take pictures of your quilts and to respond to topics posted. You will never know how much that has helped me!
And finally, I keep thinking about that woman who had made a quilt for her grand daughter and the daughter put it away and put a store bought blanket for her bed. I made a rag quilt for my son. It was my first attempt at making something so big. He recently got a cold. He called me from school and told me all he wanted to do was come home and get under his quilt. That made me feel so good. I had made him something he loved and it made him feel good to have something hand made from me. I feel sorry for that woman's daughter and grand daughter. They will never appreciate how wonderful she is.
Sorry this is so long winded, but I truly do appreciate everything you have taught me.