View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM
QM
Power Poster

Default denim and bandana fabric DWR

A couple of people asked me to post this. I made a bed sized Double Wedding Ring quilt a baby sized one using old jeans and bandana fabric. This picture was before I did the fringing. I used a simple seam to attach the denim arc to the background square. If you try this (and it is fun!!!!) be sure to keep the pattern pieces on the straight of grain, or the fringing does not work at all well. I used a seam ripper to cut through to the seam line on each side of each arc segment, then used the ripper to pull out the cut threads. I got most of the denim from my local senior center's thrift store.
(They put aside for me the jeans that were too damaged to sell). I made a point of using differrent colors of jeans and either side out. I used the Ruth McKee pattern, but enlarged it. If you want to try this, you might download the 2nd picture, print a bit of it and add seam allowances on 2 sides. Since I used red thread to attach the arc segments, you can see how much fringing I had to do. The fringes were much softer than I expected. I used 18" squares. One 4 square piece makes a great baby boy quilt. I used hobbs 80/20 batting. If I had been more clever about it, I would have used another yard of the bandana fabric as backing. I live in "cowboy" country, so this was a hit.
Attached Thumbnails denim-ring-block.jpg   denim-dwr-raw-block.jpg  

Last edited by QM; 03-27-2012 at 11:51 AM.