Thread: string quilts
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 07:47 AM
w7sue

String quilt from scraps - I have made several and one of my favorites is pieced on dryer sheets - old ones - and I read here recently that isn't such a good idea because of scents and chemicals - too late now! It is for personal use so not a problem, but might be for someone who has health issues. I made mine that way because I actually pieced smaller pieces together to make some of my strips. I cut the sheets to 6" or 6 1/2" square when I was finished doing the flip/sew thing. That was as big as they were. I then cut them on the diagonal and placed a 1 1/2" strip of black on the diagonal seams and sewed them back together. Made a lattice work look when they were all finished and I love it. I didn't have enough of the pieced blocks to do a big enough quilt so I used solid blocks with the black in the middle to go all around the outside of the quilt. Wasn't sure how I would like it, but it quieted it down a little. It has a 3" black border around the outside. My daughter said that if I should come into the family room some day and find it missing I will know she has taken it with her. LOL - I had it longarm quilted and Denise didn't have any problems with it. I got the idea from some friends who were making them for charity quilts and they used scraps even for the center strips. I liked my idea better.