Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 AM
sewfanatic

Red face

I was able to access the page using the link in the post at 2:54am.
Photo printing projects are fun and because they are personalized for the recipient, really do have high impact.
I have printed on fabric using the freezer paper method for several years as a method of making customized quilt labels. I heat set the ink with my iron then rinse lightly in cool water. Certain printer inks lend themselves to fabric very well, others do not.

Last year, I tested several methods for setting ink into the fabric for a customer's photo quilt and this is what I learned: All photos need to dry after printing, rinsed and ironed, regardless of solution methods.

From my experience, no photo quilt will hold up to repeated washings and retain original color as the freshly completed project, regardless of using the name brand fabric setting solution or DIY solution.

However, the weave of the fabric will make the difference in the clarity of photos and smoothness of the fabric. I tried PFD fabric and a few other 100% cottons from various textile manufacturers. PFD fabric seemed to be much more coarse than I expected after setting it with the solution. I found very fine Pima cottons and silks to work very well in mimicking the clarity of the original photo. But certainly PFD and cottons can be used, depending on the intended use of the project and recipient.