View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 06:17 AM
J Miller

Yes, that I know. It's not the heating up that bothered me, it was the amount of heat in such a short time that bothered me.

I've got several machines with old style foot controllers that I have done slow sewing on and this one is the only one to get "this" hot.

.................................................. .......................................

In the same vein I got the response from Sew-Classic this morning. She only partially answered my questions.
So I still don't have a definitive answer whether or not the amount of heat this unit put out was normal.

My question:
Towards the beginning of the year I purchased a cord set with controller for one of the Japanese machines we acquired. It didn't get used until the last several days because we didn't have cams for it.

Today I sewed a section of about 4 feet using a decorative cam. Because this machine hasn't been used it's a bit cranky and broke the tips off several needles so I sewed this slowly.

I sew barefoot or in socks because I don't have a good "feel" with shoes on so after finishing the piece I walked into the other room to show my wife and then walked back to where I was sewing. I bumped the foot controller with my bare foot and it was VERY HOT. I couldn't pick it up by the body, I had to use the pedal part and that was a bit warm too.

I know the old style tend to get warm, but I've never had one get too hot to touch it.

Is this normal?

Joe

Sew-Classics answer:
Hi Joseph,

Electronic controllers don;' build up heat, but any of the carbon pile controllers (old or new) do make heat unless they are in the fully off or fully on position. Based solely on your description, it sounds like the controller was ever so slightly "on" -not enough to move the motor, but enough to generate heat. The closer to the "off" position the controller gets, the more heat it will produce. It turns "juice" not sent to the motor into heat. As to any further details, I can't even begin to guess.

Thank You,
Jenny
Shop.Sew-Classic.com
Discount Sewing Machine Parts & Supplies

I have no idea where she came up with the idea the controller was just barely on,not enough to move the motor when I clearly said I was sewing slowly.

I don't know anymore. Does anyone really comprehend English?

Joe